Rt Hon Sir Michael Fallon was first elected MP for Sevenoaks in 1997. Michael was born in Scotland in 1952, and educated at Epsom College. He graduated Honours MA in Classics and Ancient History from St Andrews University. He is married to Wendy and they have two sons. Their home is in Sundridge, near Sevenoaks.
Formerly he has served as Minister of State at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills; Minister of State at the Department for Energy and Climate Change; Secretary of State for Defence.
After becoming MP for Sevenoaks, Michael was involved in many successful local campaigns including:
- lobbying for a new grammar school in Sevenoaks
- improving broadband speeds in rural areas
- hosting the Swanley Job Fairs for employers and prospective employees
- encouraging small and medium-sized businesses throughout the constituency
- pressing for the dualling of the A21 near Pembury - which is now underway
- leading the campaign to save Sevenoaks Hospital, culminating in the May 2007 decision of West Kent Primary Care Trust to secure its long-term future
- winning a £1 million government grant to build the new Riverhead Infants School
- fighting the closure of Sevenoaks Police Station which led to a decision to open a new police centre which is now based in the SDC offices
- lobbying for better noise protection for residents living near the three motorways (M25, M20 & M26) that cut across the constituency, winning a new environmental barrier for Swanley and Swanley Village as part of the M25 widening
- campaigning to save the local post offices throughout the area
- successfully assisting hundreds of constituents who have had problems with government bureaucracy over the last 20 years
Michael has run 22 advice surgeries each year and in addition attends many local events and visits all types of organisations throughout the Sevenoaks constituency. He is a Vice-President of the Sevenoaks Rugby Club, has been a school governor and is a Patron of the Rockdale House Appeal, President of the RLSB, Patron of Darenth Valley Youth Music and President of the Friends of St Mary’s Sundridge.
1983-1992 MP for Darlington
1987-1988 Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Energy
1988-1990 Government Whip, promoted to Lord Commissioner of the Treasury
1990-1992 Schools Minister in the Department for Education and Science
1997 - MP for Sevenoaks
1997-1998 Shadow Spokesman for Trade & Industry, Shadow Financial Secretary to the Treasury
1999-2012 Member of Treasury Select Committee
2001-2010 Chairman of Treasury Select Sub-Committee
2010-2012 Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party
2012- Privy Counsellor
2012-2014 Minister of State for Business and Enterprise, Department of Business, Innovation & Skills
2013-2014 Minister of State for Energy, Department of Energy and Climate Change
2014- 2017 Secretary of State for Defence.
Michael has been a regular writer and broadcaster on politics, economics and education. His earlier publications include The Caravan Moves On, The Quango Explosion, Sovereign Members, and Brighter Schools. He was also chairman of the All-Party Classics Group until 2012.
Michael is a former director of Quality Care Homes plc (nursing homes), Just Learning Ltd (day nurseries), Attendo AB (Scandinavian social and health care) and Tullett Prebon plc (inter-dealer broking). He resigned all his outside business interests when he was appointed a Government Minister in 2012.